English Language Department
Every student a confident and proficient user of the English Language
To provide an environment that nurtures and inspires our pupils towards using the English Language to
express themselves confidently and proficiently
"A Strong Foundation and Rich Language for All"
~Approach to EL Teaching from EL Syllabus 2010
- Build a strong foundation in language skills, grammar and vocabulary through systematic and explicit instruction
- Expose pupils to a rich language environment that allows them to:
- use language in a variety of contexts
- revisit language structures skills
- see how language works
Language learning and teaching is anchored
on the STELLAR pedagogical frameworks for
lower and upper primary
We promote the teaching and learning of English using more speaking and listening activities.
Pupils learn about reading and writing using rich and interesting books, with discussions led by the teacher
More information here: https://www.stellarliteracy.sg/
Sunrise Reading Programme for Primary 1 and 2 Pupils
Support pupils' development of reading readiness and word identification skills.
Pupils in their Sunrise Programme reading groups
Drama @ Innova Programme for P1 to 3 Students
Develop pupils' ability to communicate effectively and confidently
Scope & Schedule
(Last session: Showcase to parents)
|Primary 3||Term 1 Fridays||Drama performance skills for Storytelling|
|Primary 2||Term 2 Tuesdays||Drama performance skills for Readers' Theatre|
|Primary 1||Term 3 Tuesdays||Drama performance skills for Choral Recitation|
Primary 1 pupils rehearsing their performance
Students develop an awareness of spoken language features, voice quality, i.e. volume fluency and intonation
and the skills to deliver with confidence. They also build skills that teaches adaptability and teamwork as part of learning process.
Novel Study Programme
Develop students' critical reading and viewing skills and develop an appreciation of a literary text
We want to provide students with additional opportunities to:
- Relate the issues presented in the text to personal experiences and real-life examples.
- Develop understanding of the organizational structure of texts and the artful use of language for impact.
- Identify, reflect and discuss the meanings conveyed by characters in the text
Parents a Partners in Learning
As part of home support,
- Have lots of books (including online books), magazines and newspapers in your home
- Talk about the books and characters read
- Give your child books/resources about their special interests
Extracted from: discoveReads Portal hosted on NLB
Frequently expose your child to listening, speaking, reading and writing opportunities and activities rather than use of worksheets alone.
The International Online Essay Competition organised by MOE Malaysia
SILVER Medalist - Shwetha Murthy
BRONZE Medalist - Jannatul Naimah