- To instill love, passion and confidence amongst our students in the learning of Tamil Language.
- To groom students to be effectively bilingual and Information Communication Technology (ICT) savvy.
|TAMIL LANGUAGE (TL) DEPARTMENT|
|Mrs Hema Elango
AED for TL
|Mrs Santhi Chandrasegaran
|Mrs Francisa Subash Lazar
a. ONGOING PROGRAMMES – PART AND PARCEL OF LEARNING
• Engaging Teaching Pedagogies to learn Tamil in a fun way. Students are taught skills to assisT in their learning. Co operative Learning is a key strategy used in the classroom.
Students gainfully engaged in a lesson using the Co operative learning strategy Round Robin
• Building Information Communication Technology (ICT) at every level
- We are currently using the Murasu Anjal (MOE-Singapore) software.
- Currently all students from Primary 1 to 6 are taught to use Tamil 99 (MOE-Singapore) keyboard.
- Students from Primary 3 onwards will be applying their Touch Typing skills on level specific tasks in 2016. (see table below)
- All students are introduced to reliable and safe Tamil search engines to encourage research for learning.
|P1||Touch Typing the Tamil letters learnt in P1||Be able to use the correct fingers.
Be able to type the words learnt.
|P2||Touch Typing the Tamil letters learnt in P2|
|P3||Typing in Microsoft word document||Short stories with relevant picture(s) inserted.|
|P4||Creating Powerpoint slides in Tamil||Students to create storyboard using powerpoint slides|
|P5||Writing and sending emails||Internet etiquette to be taught in sending and receiving emails|
|P6||Creating small posters in Tamil||Students will be tasked to create A4 sized posters for a school / Department event|
• Experiential Learning through LEARNING JOURNEY
Every year ,the Primary Four students will embark on a Learning Journey to Little India during the Pongal Festival week. They will engage in activities conducted at the premise. The knowledge and experience gained is used in completing their first unit of their prescribed textbook/workbook.
|Students listening intensely to the facilitator at the Heritage Hunt @ Little India Pongal Festival Celebration .||Students learning about the Farm animals’ contribution in Farming@ the Pongal Festival Celebration|
• Enhancing their oral skills through ENRICHMENT PROGRAMME
Students are engaged in varied forms of enrichment activities to enhance their oratorical and critical thinking skills as well as to provide an holistic approach to Learning Tamil through their assigned tasks. The Programmes vary annually based on the students’ needs.
b. 2015 ENRICHMENT PROGRAMME
P1 and P2 – Speech and Drama
P3 and P4 – Poet in the Making
P5 and P6 – The Journalist in Me
c. TERMLY EVENTS
a. PONGAL CELEBRATIONS@INNOVA 2015
Sharing our Indian Culture and Tradition with the whole school community at our Annual Pongal Celebration. The event is conducted on the second or third Friday afternoon in the month of January.
|Students waiting for the milk to boil over before they can scoop a spoonful of rice into the pots.||Student displaying her Kolam artwork done during the school Pongal Celebration.|
- To promote spoken Tamil by encouraging students to listen to Tamil radio programmes on Oli 96.8 and selectedTamil programmes on Vasantham Television Channel.
- To improve spoken Tamil by ensuring students prepare for oral presentations
- To encourage students to read Manavar Murasu – The Monday supplement of Tamil Murasu.
- To ensure students read at least 2 Tamil story books a month.
- Lastly but most importantly to engage students in conversation using Tamil Language.
|USEFUL WEBSITES FOR LEARNING: FOR STUDENTS AND PARENTS
(click on the image button to view content)
|MOE Website for Language
|MOE Website for CME
|For Touch Typing
|For voice recording – Oral Practice
|Click on Primer Education
|Nursery Rhymes and Stories
for Lower Primary
|Tamil English Webmagazine for children
|Tamil website with lessons
and printable worksheets
|Web assisted of learning
and teaching of Tamil